Thursday 23 June 2011

houmous

I ate houmous on Samos, but only once, as part of a mixed plate. I was so greedy I didn’t really concentrate on the flavour and texture. I love chick peas, and often make houmous at home. It ends up much smoother than the stuff you buy ready-made, and cheaper. You can also adjust the flavours as you like. It’s worth having a jar of tahini in the cupboard anyway – that’s the sesame paste used with the chick peas.

I’ve given up on food processors too, it makes washing up more complicated. I just use a stick blender.

Recipe

Ingredients
1 can chick peas (400g)
1 peeled clove garlic
2 tbsp virgin olive oil
2 tbsp (heaped) tahini paste
Lemon juice (to taste, fresh is best but you can use bottled, approx 2 tbsp)
Hearty pinch of salt

Method
  • Blend everything together until you have a smooth paste.
  • Allow mixture to sit if possible, as the garlic flavour deepens.
I like to serve it draped with a drizzle of the best olive oil and a tiny sprinkle of sweet paprika.

Eat
Great with toasted pitta bread, toast or crackers. I like it on a plain digestive sometimes.

Use leftovers to stir into soup or hot rice.

Variations
Add cumin and fresh coriander or roast peppers and sundried tomatoes to the blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment